Peripheral neuropathy most often affects the feet and it can lead to great discomfort. Before a patient can be treated with Neuropathy Treatments in Plainfield IL, they will undergo blood and nerve function testing. There are a few different treatment options that can be used to control the symptoms of neuropathy. Often, a combination of treatments is needed, for the best results.
How Is Neuropathy Treated?
After a proper diagnosis, the patient will need to undergo Neuropathy Treatments in Plainfield IL. The treatment that is given by the doctor will depend on the severity of the condition and the overall health of the patient. The following are some of the most common treatments.
- Pain relievers are most often the first line of treatment when a person has mild neuropathy. Pain medications can help to lessen the nerve signals so the pain is not overwhelming and the individual can function at a normal level.
- Topical treatments can also be used and can help relieve some of the discomfort individuals feel. Most of the topical creams contain capsaicin, which helps to bring warmth to the area, adding comfort.
- Some anti-seizure medications can be used to effectively treat neuropathy. Although these medications can cause dizziness and drowsiness, many patients report finding relief from the painful nerve sensations.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation is also a popular treatment option for those who are suffering from this condition. With gentle electric currents, the patient’s nerves can remain calmer so fewer signals are being fired.
- Those who are experiencing neuropathy because of inflammation may find immunotherapy suppression treatments to be beneficial. Plasma exchange and immune globulin IV administration can be beneficial for this condition.
Get Started Right Away
If you are dealing with the symptoms of neuropathy and would like to learn more about your treatment options, contact Suburban Foot & Ankle Associates. Scheduling a consultation appointment will allow your condition to be properly reviewed so testing can be carried out to reach a firm diagnosis. With treatment, individuals suffering from peripheral neuropathy can find the true relief they have been seeking. Call today so your appointment can be scheduled.